Sunday, September 7, 2008

A favorite childhood recipe...

When Donna was a child, her mother used to fix this often. The best part was the "Hasty-Tasty Sauce" which came from a recipe in the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. Donna searched for the REAL recipe and finally found a vintage cookbook with the recipe. I bought it at Wonder Books many years ago so I would have my own copy. Now, I have my mother's original cookbook dated 1943 (older than she is). Here is the recipe from the original cookbook...

Cube Steaks with Hasty Tasty Sauce
Buy 4 small cube steaks (about 1lb.). Sprinkle with 1 t. salt, 1/8 t. pepper, 3 T. flour. In 3 T. hot fat in skillet, brown steaks quickly (2-3 minutes) on both sides. Remove. (I drain on paper towels). To fat left in skillet, add 1 t. dry mustard; 1 t. Worcestershire; 3 T. chili sauce or catsup; 2 T. lemon juice. Heat till boiling, stirring. Spoon over steaks. Serve at once. Makes 4 servings.

With less than 2 weeks until Donna's surgery, the countdown begins. Housework, shopping, meal preparation, getting the house in order, and not being home for a few days are among the worries at the top of the list. I don't think anyone else here is worried or aware-which is fine. The laundry just won't get done for a few days. I don't want to have to put any extra stress or worries on Bobby, he is supposed to be taking care of himself--not me. I'll be back in no time. I wonder if they have internet at the hospital...??? I prefer hospitals with private rooms, a place for my spouse to stay WITH ME, and a Starbucks in the lobby. I'd like to have my hair done the day after surgery, and perhaps a pedi--although my wonderful husband always fixes me up with that! I knew we should have had this done in L.A.!!! What was I thinking?!

No comments: