Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday PM

Throughout the day today, I noticed Bobby becomming more and more sleepy and that he was saying things that just didn't make sense. He asked me questions about the kids...that weren't correct. He would ask me who it was that called--and no one had called. I mentioned this to the nurses and discussed whether it was confusion or just vivid dreaming. After the night shift nurse came on, she took his vitals. His BP is still up there (which is good because it tends to drop during treatment), but his heart rate was around 120--which is where they start putting patients on the monitor. He had a fever of 101.7. His nurse called the doctor and he said to stop the IL-2 treatments. Bobby has gotten 9 so far and that is great. Although they only give a total of 14, if you get less, it isn't considered a failure...they just will give UP TO 14. Of course, we all know that Mr. Bobby wanted all 14...but I don't believe the doctor said that 14 works better than 9!

Bobby apologized to me. I asked what he was apologizing for and he said for not getting 14 doses. HE is the one wanting 14 doses...I'm the one who wants to bring my husband HOME from the hospital...and well enough to come back in 2 weeks for Round 2. I told him that his body (not his will power) said to stop at 9. His body is too stressed to continue. If 9 is his magic number...let it be 9. Maybe we should have had 9 kids? Anyway, I've tried to tell him...9 is great.

He still feels very sick. I got him to take a 1/2 of a popsicle. He didn't eat dinner...in fact, he slept through it. The plan is that if his fever is down enough tomorrow, they will let him come home. If not...we'll try again Sunday.

I told Jim this story & I'd like to share it with you...it was cute. Jim told me to tell Bobby that he was proud of him. Bobby was sleeping but I did tell him. He didn't move a muscle. Out like a light! Then, a loud noise from the street came storming thru...vrroooom vroommmm.................His eyes open up and he says, "Those are dirt bikes! Dirt bikes are a huge problem in Baltimore City..." He was probably right about the noise that woke him being a dirtbike or two. I wouldn't know! It was cute because my voice didn't arouse him!

So, we wait for tomorrow to see what his vitals are. See what his temperature is. I'll keep you posted. He is ready this time :) .

No comments: